About Me

My photo
I'm just a mom who loves her family. I love to sing in the choir at my church, read books to my grandchildren, along with solving the world's problems & spending time with friends! I want to walk a better walk each day, live a healthier life and leave the light of Jesus shinning wherever I go. That's not my New Year's Resolution, it's my Life's Ambition. I am a family lady who teaches her children at home, works at church designing worship services with a team of humble servants. I love embroidery, music & business ideas!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dancing with Daddy

In 2007 my parents had their fiftieth wedding anniversary.
We rented a large building and transformed it into 1957!
Ladies in their poodle skirts and bobbie socks; men in their jeans with the big cuffs, white t-shirts and their heads cocked over like they thought they were cool! 

The dinner was served by a chef complete with his white hat, there were dishes with retro candy, a soda fountain serving Coke and Root Beer floats.
There was a wall with 50 years worth of photos on it and notes from friends wishing them well and sharing memories from years past.

We had a "too hot to touch", 1957 turquoise Chevy with a life-sized cut-out of my parents in the front seat.
We asked the guests as they entered to stand next to the car and have their photo made. (At the end of the evening we had their photos ready in a personalized sleeve for them to take home.)

The 50's music played continuously and nobody got tired of it.

Three on a String played. Jerry Ryan had written a poem for my folks that he read. It made us laugh and cry at the same time!

I spoke a few minutes about some of my memories growing up as their daughter, and how they are people who are "givers".

When I was little, Daddy and I would clear the furniture in the Living Room on Saturday night.  We would tune the radio to WSM out of Nashville and dance to the Grand Ole Opry together.
This photo is one that my friend, Linda Connell, snapped of us dancing together at the anniversary party. I cherish it.
I wish I had one of us from 50 years ago to go with it. That's okay, though, I have it etched on my heart.
You can find this post on FaceBook on Alabama Magazine's page!  Click on the link above to learn about Alabama Magazine.

No comments: